The walls of the building are made of New England Colonial
with trim of Indiana limestone. The roof is shingled with
hand-made clay tiles. Originally, flagstone terraces graced the front and back of the
building, and extensive lawns ran from the back of the building to the
The auditorium, named for Mr. Howe's wife Nancy, seats 340.
The Georgian Colonial style building, begun in 1935 and opened in 1937,
was designed by Carl Ade of Rochester, NY, and built by L.C. Whitford Company of
Wellsville, NY. The style is similar to that of English architect Sir
Christopher Wren (1632-1723). Money for the construction came from ten years of
interest on the endowment left by Mr. Howe. The building cost $340,000 to build
and $25,000 to furnish and decorate.