Local History Room Resources
The David A. Howe Public Library holds materials to help you in your search for information about our area. We have not listed all possible sources here, but what follows is a list of commonly used local history resources.
Local history and reference books do not circulate.
[expand title="A selective list of often used books
- Allegany and its People, 1795 –1895. This is an excellent centennial history by John Minard. Name index is available separately.
- Atlas of Allegany County. It was published by Beers in 1869. It shows property owners.
- Business directories for Wellsville and Allegany County list occupations and addresses. Broken files 1900 – 1960.
- DAR Patriot Index and Lineage Books.
- Doty, Lockwood. History of the Genesee Country, 1925 gives history and biographical information.
- French, J.H. Gazetteer of the State of New York, 1861. The names are mostly in the footnotes.
- Guide to Historical Resources in Allegany County New York Repositories. New York Historical Resource Center, 1980. This is a subject index to resources held by libraries and historical societies.
- History of Allegany County. It was published by Beers in 1879. It is arranged by towns. There is a separate index that lists family names.
STARCat Online Catalog
Search the STARCat online catalog by author, title or subject for books, pamphlets, newspapers and a variety of other materials.
Suggested subject searches include:
- Allegany County
- Newspapers Allegany County
- Use KEYWORD to search for family names.
A microfilm scanner and reader/printer are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Highlights of the library’s microfilm holdings include:
- Wellsville Daily Reporter, 1880 – Current
- Allegany County Census, 1810 – 1880
- Wellsville Free Press, 1867 – 1870
Local History Pamphlet Files
Ask at the main desk for materials from our local history pamphlet files. Subject highlights include:
- Allegany County Railroads
- Wellsville Pictures
- Information about the Pink House and other noted architectural gems
Allegany County Historical Society
The historical society has its Genealogy Research Center and Offices in the David A. Howe Public Library in Room 201. Its volunteers assist with genealogy questions and staff the research center and offices, which include historical and genealogical artifacts, manuscripts, and information relating to Allegany County communities and residents.
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 588, Wellsville NY 14895
Contact the Allegany County Historical Society